Flickr user ckphotography
Parents seeking to transfer their students to schools outside their zoned attendance areas can access the necessary forms on the district’s website.
The deadline for completing and turning in a Transfer Request Application is March 2.
Students anywhere in the district are eligible to apply for 10 schools with specialized academic programs that offer a particular curriculum focus. Those are:
- Beaufort Elementary School – Montessori, AMES (Advanced Mathematics, Engineering and Science)
- Pritchardville Elementary – AMES
- Lady’s Island Elementary School – Fine Arts Infusion
- St. Helena Elementary School – Spanish Language Immersion, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Shanklin Elementary School – Environmental Science
- Lady’s Island Middle School – STEM
- Robert Smalls Middle School – STEM
- Whale Branch Middle School – STEM
- Whale Branch Early College High School – Advanced college credit through the Technical College of the Lowcountry
- Battery Creek High School – Tri-Academies (Information Technology; Engineering; Military Science/Aviation; Arts & Humanities)
Parents applying for admission to a district magnet program (Montessori or AMES) must complete a separate application in addition to the district’s Transfer Request. For example, applying to one of the district’s two AMES programs entails completing an AMES application, being accepted, then completing the district’s standard Transfer Request.
Students may also be eligible for a “general transfer” for reasons that include medical hardship, senior status (rising fifth-, eighth- or twelfth-graders), completion of one marking period (moved after completing a quarter of a school year or more) and other options.