Principle Gallery: Charleston joins forces with Combining the Arts and Machicao Couture to raise money for Communities In Schools
Date: March 15th 2014
Time: 7.30pm to 10.30pm
Location: Principle Gallery 125 Meeting St. Charleston SC 29401 email@example.com
Exuberant Peruvian-raised designer Luis Machicao is making the move to Charleston, fresh from his much lauded collection as the first US Hispanic to show at Paris Fashion Week. The classic and colorful Spring/Summer 2014 show, also featured at the Waldorf Astoria during NY Fashion Week, will occur at Principle Gallery on March 15th. As the unofficial, celebratory preview to Charleston Fashion Week, the timing could not be better. Tina McCard, PR and Event Coordinator of Combining the Arts, sees the relationship between the contemporary figurative paintings that Principle will be featuring during the month of March and the contemporary fresh artistry of Machicao’s designs. Carri Schwab, Principle Gallery Director and Charleston City Paper’s 2013 Most Fashionable, has been impressed by the amount of sponsorship and support the community has provided to rally visual arts for a cause. “I’m impressed, but not surprised. Charleston knows how to have fun + celebrate the arts while giving back. Community support is what Charleston does best… and it looks fabulous doing it!” The show at Principle Gallery, which recently opened a second location in Charleston and has a 20 year history of non-profit donation, has fully embraced their new community by offering monthly events for charity in their open, airy space. 100% of the show’s ticket sales/donations will go to the national non-profit, Communities In Schools, which is entering its 25th year of successful dropout prevention.
Chatting With Luis Machicao
- Who is your 'girl'? What is a day like in their life like?
My girl is a very cool person, not afraid to show her taste in fashion, always ready to jump into something new…very comfortable in her own skin. Her day is plenty of work, plenty of surprises, plenty of accomplishments….
- Why Charleston? Why Now?
I just fell in love with the city after my show for the American Cancer Society. I couldn't resist the attraction for the people, the streets, the vibe… I always follow my instincts…women here are so timeless…so classy!!
- Who is an inspiration to you? (Women passing on the street, Mom…)
Women who are totally secure about themselves…women who earn their money, women who raise children, women like my Mom, women like our female soldiers.
- Who is your most influential designer?
Dior of course!
Communities In Schools Success Rate + Success Stories
During the 2012-13 year, we served nearly 10,491 young people in 23 schools. Of those students, 1,442 received case-managed services. We are proud to say that of those case-managed students:
- 94% were promoted to the next grade level (excluding seniors)
- 75% maintained adequate attendance
- 77% improved academics in at least one core subject area
- 92% improved behavior
- 95% of seniors graduate (69% went to college, 8% joined the military)
Read about Jasmine + Nyesha’s experience with CIS here:
Links To Event, Designer, Gallery, Sponsors
* Sponsor/Event Logos/Posters available upon request
- Combining the Arts, LLC
- IceBox Bar http://iceboxbar.com/
- Jonathan Balliet Photography http://jballiet.com/
- TouT Modeling http://www.touttalent.com/
- Mac Does Hair http://macdoeshair.com/
- Paul Mitchell School: Charleston http://charleston.paulmitchell.edu/
- Charleston 365 http://chs365.com/
- ArtMag http://theartmag.com/
- Event Drs. http://eventdrscharleston.com/
- Provision http://provisionchs.com/
- Youngblood Originals http://www.youngbloodoriginals.com/
- Produce Candles http://www.producecandles.com/
- Hunter Brookes Lifestyle http://hunterbrookes.com/
- Intown.com http://intown.com/
- Millie Lewis: Charleston http://www.millielewischarleston.com/
- Modern Connection http://themodernconnection.com/
- Jericho Advisors http://jerichoadvisors.com/
- Wingman Media Group http://www.wingmanmediagroup.com/
- Skirt Magazine http://charleston.skirt.com/