Image by Flickr user Fuzzco
Update December 22:
Local photog Chrys Rynearson stopped by the growler/tasting event at the Charleston Beer Exchange on the 20th and snapped some nice photos.
Hop over to his Flickr page and take a look.
Update, nudge: Just a reminder that today, December 20, is the first day of launch events.
If you're a fan of beer in Charleston, you'll want to make time for the pair today, December 20, or the one on Thursday. There's also some misc updates on distribution/availability below.
First reporting: After months of planning, construction, tank delivery, and making some pretty sweet tap handles (by Fuzzco, pictured above), Mount Pleasant's Westbrook Brewing is officially launching with multiple events in late December.
Three events are planned for Charleston:
- Monday, December 20th, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Charleston Beer Exchange (14 Exchange Street)
- Monday, December 20th, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Chai's Lounge & Tapas (462 King Street)
- Thursday, December 23rd, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Closed for Business (453 King Street)
Launch events are also planned for Barley's Taproom in Greenville, and Green's Beverage (Piney Grove) and the Flying Saucer in Columbia. This should signal speedy statewide distribution for Westbrook, which is a good thing given the size of the operation.
Plan to see all three of their flagship brews at these events:
- White Thai - A traditional Belgian wheat beer (witbier), with the non-traditional addition of lemongrass, ginger, and Sorachi Ace hops (a varietal developed in Japan)
- Belgian Pale Ale - A worldly take on the style, thanks to the addition of German malt and English hops to otherwise Belgian components
- India Pale Ale - A take on an American IPA here, with four hop additions in the boil and two rounds of dry hopping, but a little Munich malt added to keep the Western Europe theme going
Update December 20, availability: As you'll notice, these launch events are not happening at the brewery or its tasting room.
Both are still getting the finishing touches and are expected to be done towards the end of January. Once that's done expect regular tastings, tours, and being able to drop in for growler fills.
Also, they're distributing their kegs through Advintage which covers all of South Carolina.
Westbrook Brewing is located at 510 Ridge Road in Mount Pleasant. Grab more info at the Westbrook Brewing site, their blog, or follow them on Twitter at @WestbrookBeer. And of course, follow our coverage of #Westbrook, or #beer in general.