Image by Flickr user arielp
Hominy Grill is teaming up with Charleston Beer Exchange to break entirely new ground for their second-ever beer dinner, bringing all four Lowcountry breweries together to pair their wares with six vegetarian courses on Sunday, October 2nd.
Billed as a "not just for vegetarians" beer dinner, Hominy is presenting a plethora of non-meaty dishes, a rarity in the land of protein-heavy beer dinners. But what's slightly more epic is seeing our entire local brewing industry band together for the event. The teams from Palmetto Brewing, COAST Brewing, Westbrook Brewing, and Holy City Brewing will all be on hand to guide diners through pairings with some of their more limited offerings. Two beers (from different breweries) will come with each course, for a total of 12 different beers throughout the evening. Excelsior!
Here's the menu, courtesy of the CBX blog:
- Passed Hors d'Oeuvres on the patio: Pinto Bean Hummus on Corn Chips, Cauliflower and Hominy Fritters, Peanut Butter and Hot Pepper Jelly Sandwiches vs. COAST All Chinook Pale Ale (6.6% ABV) & Palmetto Aftershock Steam Beer
- I: Boiled Okra with Basil Butter and Smoked Shiitake Mushroom and Shallot Purloo vs. Westbrook SaisonAle (6.2% ABV, B+) & Holy City Lowcountry Dark Ale (6.2% ABV, B, XX)
- II: French Fried Crooked Neck Squash with Heirloom Tomato Relish and Creamer Pea Salad vs. Palmetto Extra Pale IPA (7% ABV, B+, XX) & Westbrook Zwickelbier (4.5% ABV)
- III: Cabbage, Apple, and Arugula Salad with Spiced Pumpkin Seeds and Boiled Dressing vs. Westbrook Marzenbier (6% ABV) & Holy City Shiftee Golden Ale
- IV: Baked Cheese Grits with Creamed Butterbean and Corn Succotash and Sautéed Greens vs. Holy City Pecan Dream (XX) & COAST Wadmalaw Sunset Belgian Honey Ale (7.5% ABV, A, XX)
- Dessert: Peach Pudding with Cinnamon Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce vs. COAST Bourbon Barrel-Aged Old Nuptial Barleywine (11% ABV, A, XX) & Palmetto Espresso Porter (5.8% ABV, A-, 68)
Dinner starts on the patio at 7 p.m. Seats are $65 a pop (which includes gratuity, but not tax), and you can call (843) 937-0930 for reservations. Hominy Grill is located at 207 Rutledge Avenue downtown.
In case you make the poor decision of not attending, or don't get a reservation in time, I'll be live-tweeting the shenanigans from @CHSBeer.