photo by flickr user 401k
Avoid paying high tax service fees. Keep your entire return when you use the free tax preparation service provided by HGTC students.
The tax season is upon us, and nothing is worse than spending some of that long anticipated refund money before it even reaches your pocket. In 2010 the average tax preparation fee at H&R Block was $189 per return. At Jackson Hewitt the average fee was $208 per return.
This year get your taxes done by Horry Georgetown Technical College (HGTC) students free of charge. This full-service tax program is available to anyone in the community. The returns are prepared by accounting students and overseen by Professor Karen Collins, who runs the program. The service is offered every Tuesday afternoon between 2 and 4 p.m. at the Conway campus in building 1000, room 111. It is available now through April 3, 2012. No appointment is necessary.
When you stop in be sure to bring:
- All W-2 and 1099’s from the 2011 tax year
- Other income, deduction, and credit information
- Proof of account for direct deposit (ex. voided check)
- Social security or ITIN cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse
- A copy of last year’s tax return