The Thanks Joe! event will take place on October 4, 2015 at Brittlebank and Joe Riley Park.
LINEUP ANNOUNCED FOR EXTRAVAGANZA CELEBRATING MAYOR JOE RILEY
Music, art, comedy and more – with more to come!
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Blue Dogs & Friends, Edwin McCain, the Emmanuel AME choir and more willentertain a crowd of thousands during the Thanks Joe! extravaganza on Oct. 4. The privately funded event is an opportunity for Charlestonians to express their appreciation for Mayor Joe Riley’s 40 years of service – and to have a lot of fun.
The day begins with a FREE, fun, family gathering at Brittlebank Park from 3 – 7 p.m. The evening concludes with a nightcap at Joe Riley Park from 7 – 9 p.m. that will feature music, video tributes, fireworks and surprises.
The following are the confirmed acts and food vendors as of Sept. 18. Stay tuned for more to come!
3:00 Johnny Delaware Band
3:50 Bag Pipes and Color Guard (Welcome from emcee with Mayor, National Anthem & Boat Salute)
4:10 Comedy with The Have Nots
5:00 Blue Dogs & Friends
5:45 Charleston Stage
6:00 The High Divers
3:30 SOA Jazz Band
4:20 Dance Lab
5:30 Mt. Zion AME Choir
6:40 Music Battery
3:00 WoSe and Adanda - African Drummers
3:20 Art Goes There - Children’s Choir Greater Howard AME and Bethel AME Church
3:30 John Cusatis - Play Along Band
3:45 Fire Dept - Bag Pipes Procession
4:00 (Welcome Salute)
4:10 Daft Concept - Break Dancing
4:20 Threshold Theatre - A Wrinkle in Time
4:30 Ken Carrington - Magic Show
4:45 Storytree Theater - Kids Storytelling
5:00 Music Battery - Kids Percussion group
5:20 ART Pot - Hispanic Children’s Choir
5:30 Sam the Clown - Juggling
6:00 Gregory Quay - Student Guitar Players
6:15 Na Fidleiri - Student Violin Players
Cory’s Grilled Cheese, Dashi, Diggity Doughnuts, Gidget Gourmet, The Immortal Lobster, Just Eat This, Kaylea’s Cupcake Trailer, Lowcountry Creole, King of Pops, Outta My Huevos, Roti Rolls, Short Grain, Smoke BBQ, Sweet Lu Lu’s, Ye Old Food Truck, Zombie Bob’s Pizza
JOE RILEY PARK, 7 – 9 p.m.
- Music Battery Drumline
- Emcee Mike Veeck
- Edwin McCain
- Mother Emanuel AME Gospel Choir
- Brendan James
- Charlton Singleton
- Seth G
NOTES ON THANKS JOE!
- Amidst festive arts and entertainment, there will be multiple opportunities for attendees to mingle with the Mayor, take selfies with him, sign the epic “The Book of Joe” memento, shake the Mayor’s hand and say “Thanks, Joe!”
- Admission to the evening event will be $5. Tickets for the evening event are available through www.ThanksJoe.org, www.Riverdogs.com, or at the Joe Riley Park box office.
- Dozens of local professional artists and Lowcountry craftsmen will offer plein-air demonstrations featuring iconic Charleston places preserved or created under Mayor Riley's leadership.
- Organizations including the South Carolina Aquarium, American College of the Building Arts, local museums and many more will be on hand to add to the fun.
- Guests can pack a picnic lunch or dine with one of myriad food trucks at Brittlebank Park. (No outside food or beverage at the Joe, please).
- There will undoubtedly be plenty to see and do, including taking in views of the Ashley River from a 50-foot Ferris wheel.
- Attendees are also encouraged to bring a favorite picture or story to place in “The Book of Joe” which is sure to be a treasured keepsake for the Mayor. Photos can be scanned or downloaded during the event, and there will be photo and video testimonial booths for sharing Joe stories.
- No pets, please.
- No alcohol at Brittlebank Park. Alcohol will be available for purchase at Joe Riley Park during the evening portion of the event.
Sunday, October 4
Brittlebank Park, 3 – 7 p.m. (FREE admission)
Joe Riley Park, 7 – 9 p.m. ($5 per person)
Tickets: Purchase tickets on line at www.thanksjoe.org, www.riverdogs.com or at the Joe Riley Park box office.
Get Involved: Artists and performers who would like to participate in this privately funded event, as well as those who would like to donate or volunteer, are asked to contact Rebecca Gosnell at Gosnell.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media: Twitter: @thanks_joe_; Instagram: @thanks_joe_