Flickr user lisbokt
Update January 21: Thanks in large part to a last minute boost in the form of 548 donated coats collected at the 'Extreme Makeover' pep rally, this year's goal was bested.
Bested by nearly 25% — head on over to WTOC for a report on the final tally.
First reporting: Seeking to collect 3,483 coats, jackets, and thick sweaters the annual FWDG Coat Drive is winding down and will finish on Friday, December 31.
The annual coat drive was founded by Furniture Warehouse Design Gallery 20 years ago and has grown to include many local organizations, businesses, schools, churches, and civic clubs collecting coats.
Here's where you can donate:
- FWDG, Perimeter Walk, 745 Robert Smalls Parkway, (Hwy 170), Beaufort
- Carolina Stamper, 203A Carteret Street, downtown Beaufort
- 905 Port Republic Street, Beaufort
- 1 Kemmerlin Lane, Lady’s Island
- BB&T branch offices in Beaufort County
- 2 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton
- Bluffton Self Help, 1264 May River Road (Hwy 46), Bluffton
- 1008 William Hilton Parkway, Unit A, Hilton Head Island
- 200 Main Street, Suite 101, Hilton Head Island
Many local schools are participating in the Coat Drive; check with your local school to see if they are a collection point.
Since its inception in 1990, FWDG’s Coat Drive has collected and distributed more than 33,000 coats. Distribution of coats and jackets is handled by Bluffton Self Help, the Deep Well Project and HELP of Beaufort, organizations already in the business of helping families.